Drawing in His Presence

Drawing in His Presence

Popular Posts

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Memories


"Memories"

     I had the opportunity to travel back to my home town, of Ft. Davis, Tx.  It was a sad/joyous event.  My life long friend, Myra Russell Harvey lost her dad, and  today was his burial day.  I wouldn't have missed it for the world.  As I drove and walked the streets of my once familiar town, I realized how much time gets away.  It's kind of funny in a way...I just spoke about this time thing last weekend at a women's conference in Abilene, Tx.  These big cottonwood trees could tell the same story.  They are the welcoming committee at the Old Fort Davis.  The very one that housed the Buffalo Soldiers, the one that employed both Myra and myself, as high school students and after; the very one that her dear dad, Ralph Russell posed in as a calvary soldier.  I realized, as I reacquainted myself with old classmates and friends, that the thing that was so familiar long ago, now stands as a beauty to hang onto, before it slips from my hands.  What was once taken for granted is almost now unfamiliar.  Yet, I determine to hang on.  Hang on to what?  The beauty, the splendor, the sweetness, the common ground that we all have.  I cherish the memories, and I'm determined to carve out time to make many more.  We will all miss Ralph Russell.  He was an icon in this area, and loved by so many.  

No comments: