Drawing in His Presence

Drawing in His Presence

Popular Posts

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Quick Study Self Portrait

Quick Study
9x11
Mixed Media
     This is number 29/30.  I had several things going on with this piece of play.  First off, I had a sheet of Fabriano watercolor paper that I'd splashed some fall colors on several months ago.  What to do with it?  I've wanted to increase my speed in drawing portraits because it's my desire to be able to do prophetic portraits in real life by the end of the year.  I also wanted to do some experimentation with textures, so I whipped out my acrylic gel medium and spread it over the paper with my knife.  I then stamped over the gel with some stamps and let it dry.  I took a pic of myself with my photo booth, and timed myself with the drawing.  I also challenged myself by not allowing myself to have any eraseing, AND to force that issue I drew with marker.  No erasing marker!  I was satisfied with the initial line drawing, so decided to transfer it with graphite tracing paper.  I did not know that the graphite would adhere so well to the dried gel medium!  It even clung onto every place that I'd applied pressure to hold the original on, so I had lots of dark splotches all over the place.  They would not erase, so I determined to just go with it and not worry.  I proceeded with the painting phase, using water soluble wax crayons and acrylics, again timing myself.  The is a 15 minute piece, and I believe that I accomplished my goal, and learned a few things.  I don't plan to refine it, as I really just wanted to find some things out for future use.  I do love the texture created by the stamps.  

No comments: